Monday, December 14, 2009

I See

Here is a haunting, beautiful, and weird video from the haunting, beautiful, and weird mini-album Broadcast and the Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age, a collaboration between the best band on the planet* and Julian House's The Focus Group of beloved record label Ghost Box. They've made one other video for this record, and the project grew out of Broadcast's live improvisations to Julian House's films. So hopefully a full Ghost Box DVD is in the works, though I suppose they'd probably rather put it out as a filmstrip or grainy VHS.



Also of interest: this interview with Broadcast's James Cargill where he discusses the roots of the project in the sonic palette and grainy visuals of obscure horror films and warped '70s and '80s children's television programming (including Children of the Stones which terrified my brother and I when it was shown on Nickelodeon's anthology series The Third Eye).

*That's right.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm. I don't remember Children of the Stones. The one I always remember, I think, is Under the Mountain. The one where they are in a tunnel that turns out to be under a lake, and the ceiling of the tunnel is like Jello, and they squeeze through it and into the lake...

    There's another one that I thought was from The Third Eye, but I don't see it mentioned. The premise concerns a family that explores a Pyramid that takes them into an alternate dimension. With Nazis, or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this isn't quite Marshall McLuhan in Annie Hall, but, fine, My Brother, perhaps it was Under the Mountain. Still, check out the opening to Children: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLpcr7KTi9I

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I do remember the opening credits (apart from the red text: "this programme scared the crap out of me when I was younger.")

    ReplyDelete