Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Decade in Comics

Tom Spurgeon of the Comics Reporter has hit on an excellent way of running a decade-in-review feature. He's interviewing different comics critics about one work from the past ten years, whether brand new or published in a new edition. All of the interviews are interesting, but I particularly liked Sean T. Collins on Craig Thompson's Blankets, a book that I have mixed feelings about, but Collins makes a compelling argument for it being a big milestone for the medium. I was intrigued to see Jeet Heer characterize Chester Brown's Louis Riel as the Canadian equivalent of Chris Ware's Jimmy Corrigan--i.e., the graphic novel that legitimized the form for a general audience--since I think Louis Riel is extremely underrated here in the Great Satan. And Osamu Tezuka's MW was one of the best, weirdest things I read this year, so I enjoyed Spurgeon and David Welsh musing on both what is good and completely bonkers about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment